- Pre-heat oven to 200C/180F/Gas 6. Cream together the butter and sugar until light, fluffy and pale, using an electric whisk.
- Gradually mix in the beaten eggs alternating with some of the flour to stop the mixture from curdling. When all combined, stir through the vanilla extract and the milk.
- Divide the mixture between 12 paper cases placed in muffin tins. Bake for 15-20 minutes until springy to touch. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, beat the butter with a wooden spoon until smooth. Sift in the icing sugar, stirring regularly. Add the vanilla extract and the milk. The icing should be light and creamy. Pipe onto cupcakes generously when completely cool. Leave to set for at least 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/160F/Gas 4. Combine the chocolate with the water in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring until smooth which should take about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Use an electric whisk to beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Mix the flours and cocoa powder together. Add the eggs one at a time alternating with the flours and cocoa powder until just combined.
- Add the melted chocolate and water mix and stir well. Spoon evenly into 18 paper cases in muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the ganache, melt the chocolate into the creme fraiche in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. Cook for 5 minutes until smooth and glossy. Spread over each cake and set aside to set.