- Lay the salmon skin side down on a sheet of cling film. Warm the treacle in the microwave for 30 seconds or until it loosens in consistency and becomes runny. Mix the fennel seeds, lemon zest, salt, mustard, pepper and treacle together and spread evenly over the salmon fillet. Wrap completely with cling film.
- Place the salmon on a tray and leave for 1 hour at room temperature and after that, transfer to the fridge for 48 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove the cling, scrape away excess liquid and pat dry with kitchen paper. Cut the salmon at a 90 degree angle thinly but do not try to be too wafer thing. It helps to use a good sharp knife.
- 45 minutes before you want to serve your salmon, prepare the cucumbers. Halve them length ways and cut out the seeds and then slice into 3mm slices.
- In a bowl, add the cucumbers and the wine vinegar, lemon zest, oil, salt and dill. Let it stand for 45 minutes and serve with the salmon.
From BBC Good Food Magazine