- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced thinly
- 1 400g jar of red peppers, sliced thinly
- 1 400g jar of chickpeas
- 1 400g jar of chopped tomatoes
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 heaped teaspoon of Harissa paste (add more if you like it hotter!)
- 4 eggs
- Crusty bread to serve
This dish is my take on Huevos Rancheros. It’s very easy to make, satisfying and economic. Using a can of chickpeas, ready roasted peppers and some harissa paste, you can have this family meal on a plate in next to no time for lunch or dinner – or even breakfast as it would be a fabulous cure for a hangover!
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C/180F/Gas 6. Heat the oil in a large oven proof frying pan. Fry your onions until softened, then add your peppers and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add your garlic and your tomatoes. Add your Harissa paste and finally your chickpeas. Season well and let this simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Make 4 little wells in the chickpea mixture and crack an egg into each hole. Continue to fry until the bottoms set and then place the pan in the oven for 5 minutes until the eggs are just cooked through and still wobbly.
- Season the eggs and serve with crusty bread.
I am entering this dish into the Egg Mains in Minutes Challenge on Brit Mums. The competition is in partnership with Main Meals in Minutes.